There are so many factors that cause the scalp to become dried out. It can be caused by some hair care products, eczema, psoriasis, fungal conditions, stress, menopause, to name but a few. No matter the reason, dryness of the scalp can make life really uncomfortable.
Not only can it be embarrassing (scratching and flaking in public), but it can also get so bad start to hurt (red, irritated, and infected). Using a hair mask for dry scalp helps the scalp to recover by removing the condition and/or treating the underlying symptoms of dry skin.
A hair mask works much like a face mask does. It takes away the dry skin and opens up clogged up pores. It also puts the much-needed vitamins, minerals, and nutrients back into your skin. Besides helping your scalp, it will also add vitamins and minerals to your hair.
Hair mask work well when your scalp is really itchy. The ingredients provide a source of welcome relief, and they continue to work themselves through the scalp, gently getting rid of everything that is causing the problem.
In this article, we will discuss the restorative ingredients that you can use for a hair mask. Let’s take a closer look at what’s involved.
Why Use a Hair Mask to Treat a Dry & Itchy Scalp?
When your scalp is dry, the roots and shafts of the hair cannot get any vitamins or nutrients to make it healthy and strong. When this happens, it can start to get brittle, which causes split ends and frizziness, etc. You’ll be amazed at the difference that this process can make to the health of your scalp.
- A hair mask is put on your scalp for around 20 to 30 minutes.
- As the pores and hair follicles start to open, it will gently remove the dead skin cells from your scalp. The special ingredients (that we’ll discuss shortly) will remove the styling products, dirt, grime, and general clogging that is preventing the sebaceous glands from doing their job properly.
- When the process is complete, just wash your hair with an organic products, such as Christina Moss Naturals Organic Shampoo. The use of a natural shampoo means that you won’t do any further damage to your hair and scalp. It will helps even more with the recovery process.
- Once your scalp heals, your hair will get the nutrients that it needs again.
How to Use an Apple Cider Vinegar Hair Mask
It may not smell nice, but that’s not a problem. You’ll find that apple cider vinegar is really good all-natural cleanser. It’s a popular way of treating scalp-related conditions due to its natural therapeutic and healing properties.
Apple cider vinegar (ACV) will restore the normal pH level (4.5 to 5.0) of your hair. It also has a high level of acetic acid. These are both necessary to stop the growth of fungus and bacteria, helping to prevent the loss of hair and dandruff-like symptoms.
Here’s a quick step-by-step guide:
- Combine 1/2 cup of freshly filtered water with 3 tablespoons of baking soda.
- Mix it together to form thin paste that can easily be applied directly to the scalp and hair.
- Allow it to soak into your scalp for a 2 to 3 minutes.
- Wash out the formula with warm (not hot) water. Very hot water will add to the dryness.
- Mix about 1/3 of a cup of apple cider vinegar (ACV) with one cup of filtered water.
- Using your fingers, gently rinse your hair with this formula.
- Cover your head with a towel, and leave it in place for approximately 30 minutes.
- When that time has passed, wash your hair again to fully remove the scent.
How to Use a Tea Tree Oil Dry Scalp Hair Mask
Essential oils have an abundance of natural healing properties. They’re also loaded with important vitamins and nutrients that the skin, scalp, and hair needs to remain healthy. One of the most effective treatments for the scalp is tea tree oil.
In its purest form, Australian tea tree oil is potent. This is why you should mix it with another essential oil, such as olive oil. By mixing them together, you will be left with a powerful but gentle hair mask that will heal your dry scalp.
Here’s a guide on how to use a tea tree and olive oil hair mask:
- Wash your hair with natural shampoo and towel dry the hair.
- Mix one part tea tree oil to about 1 part olive oil.
- Apply this mixture to a clean and damp scalp so it can get to work.
- Allow it to soak into your scalp, massaging it in gently.
- Let it soak on the scalp for approximately 10 minutes.
- Rinse out the formula with cool or warm water.
When you make a hair mask with essential oils, your scalp and hair won’t become greasy. These oils soak straight into the scalp. The drier your scalp, the more quickly and easily it will soak in. It will also help to remove dry flakes fast.
After you use a hair mask for dry scalp, your scalp will almost immediately feel better. Now that your head is less itchy, you’ll feel less inclined to scratch. This is what’s causing the redness, tenderness, irritation, and infection. As the scalp heals, your hair will also become stronger and shinier.