Dealing with an oily scalp can be embarrassing and irritating. While there are several possible causes of a greasy and oily scalp, it’s always a good idea to look closely at what produces that oil in the first place.
We all have sebaceous glands on the scalp. These glands produce natural, necessary oil, called sebum. Not only does sebum protect the scalp, but it leaves your hair looking shiny and healthy. Having a normal amount of this oil is something most people desire when they want radiant hair.
But, having too much oil can be the cause of plugged sebaceous glands. This can appear unsightly and become itchy and uncomfortable. The good news is that there are some effective ways to get rid of sebum plugs on the scalp.
In this article, we’ll give you a step-by-step guide for when the hair follicles are clogged by sebum. If the pores of your scalp have become clogged, it’s time to get them clear once more, so you can be comfortable, and have a healthy scalp and hair.
What Are the Causes of Sebum Plugs?
Sebum itself has many benefits for your skin. It keeps your skin moisturized while keeping excess water out. It also helps to deliver nutrients like Vitamin E and antioxidants to the outermost layers of the skin.
Sebum is produced on every inch of your skin except the palms of your hands and soles of your feet. To get a better picture of how sebum plugs work, consider that it’s usually an overproduction of sebum that causes acne on your face. When a plugged follicle causes sebum and bacteria to become trapped, it can cause a pimple.
On the scalp, a hair follicle can become plugged with an overproduction of sebum. That can create itching, an oily surface of the scalp, and can even cause your hair to think as new hair isn’t allowed proper growth. Some of the most common causes of a buildup of oils include:
- Hair products
- A mixture of oil and scalp flaking (keratin)
- Hormonal imbalances
How to Clean Sebum Plugs from the Scalp
Treating an overproduction of sebum on the scalp starts by clarifying it. Consider this process as creating a clean slate for your scalp, so you can start with healthy, clean skin and reduce the chances of sebum plugs.
- First, run your scalp under warm water. Massage it gently with the pads of your fingers. If you do have sebum plugs, always try to use the soft pads of your fingers instead of your nails when washing your hair. You should also avoid using too much pressure, as you don’t want to irritate or accidentally scratch your scalp. Using your fingers to work against the skin of your scalp gently will help to loosen any build up of oil. It also helps to increase circulation to the scalp.
- Using the right kind of shampoo to clean your hair is important. Sometimes, the products we use on our hair can be causing a buildup of oils. Choose a clarifying, purifying shampoo. Some are specially designed to be sebum-cleansing products. These will help to strip away sebum plugs from your scalp and hair, especially if the plugs were caused by additional hair care products. The right sebum-removing products cannot only strip away the plugs all at once, but they can help to fight against the overproduction of sebum in the future.
- Rinse your hair completely after massaging the clarifying shampoo into the scalp for several minutes.
- You can use a traditional conditioner or conditioning method to help replace any moisture that may have been stripped away by the shampoo.
Bestseller No. 1
Shampoo for Oily Hair & Oily Scalp - Natural Dandruff Treatment for Women & Men - Hair Loss Products - Hair Strengthener - Itchy Scalp Treatment - Beautiful Hair Care - Clarifying Shampoo Sulfate Free
- BEST DEGREASING SHAMPOO FOR OILY HAIR removes oil & grease build up on your scalp. Our natural clarifying treatment with lemon essential oil restores a healthy sebum & pH balance in your skin & hair.
- PURE MOISTURIZING DANDRUFF TREATMENT alleviates itch caused by germs on your scalp. Our jojoba rosemary formula hydrates hair follicles from the inside while protecting from environmental pollutants.
- HAIR STRENGTHENING SHAMPOO FOR OILY SCALP AND DANDRUFF cleans & minimize pores while improving circulation in the scalp. This alternative hair loss solution uses basil & cypress for healthy hair care.
- KERATIN THERAPY HAIR AND SCALP TREATMENT is extremely gentle & effective. Natural hair loss shampoo is safe paraben free & sulfate free. This dandruff shampoo is for men & women with sensitive skin.
- MONEY BACK GUARANTEE – CLARIFYING SHAMPOO will remove excess oil from your hair leaving you with luscious locks that are voluminous & frizz free. It will leave your scalp itch free & highly nourished.
After you’ve completed this process, maintaining a healthy scalp is important. Once a week, rinse your scalp with apple cider vinegar. The vinegar will help to balance out the pH of your scalp. It will also help to dissolve any excess sebum that is starting to create more plugs in the scalp. You don’t need to rinse away the vinegar when finished.
How to Prevent the Overproduction of Sebum
Sometimes, producing too much sebum is somewhat unavoidable, especially if it’s a genetic predisposition. Often, though, we get sebum plugs because of the products we use or lifestyle choices.
The first thing you can do to fight back against sebum plugs is to be aware of the hair products you’re using. You should always choose products that are natural, and without a buildup of harmful chemicals. These chemicals can strip hair of natural nutrients, and create an excessive amount of oil production. They may also cause a keratin build-up, which can cause plugs in your hair follicles.
Additionally, you can add a few drops of tea tree oil to your existing shampoo. Tea tree oil has natural antiseptic, antibacterial, and antifungal properties. This will help to reduce a build-up of oils and sebum plugs from occurring. Alternatively, you can make life easier by using a specialist tea tree oil shampoo by Paul Mitchell.
Keep in mind that not washing your hair will make things worse.
Some people who have an oily scalp think that they shouldn’t wash their hair as much because products create too much oil. In reality, if you have sebum plugs, you may need to shampoo your hair twice each time you wash your hair. The sebum works to destroy the lather that can cleanse your scalp and hair. Working up a lather twice may be more beneficial in actually purifying the scalp with the right shampoo.
Sebum plugs can create the look of oily hair and can create discomfort and itching on the scalp. Quite literally, they are plugs that clog up the pores of your scalp, which can create problems that range from mild irritation to hair thinning. Take action to keep your hair and scalp healthy.
If you struggle with the overproduction of sebum and have noticed sebum plugs, try the solutions listed here to keep them under control and achieve a healthy scalp. This guide and tips will help to get rid of the sebum plugs on your scalp. And it all starts by using the right natural or organic shampoo for your hair.
Here are some great natural shampoos you could try:
Bestseller No. 1
Carols Daughter Almond Milk Hair Care Gift Set for Extremely Damaged/Over-Processed Hair
- SHAMPOO & RESTORING CONDITIONER: Our Almond Milk Sulfate Free Shampoo helps renew hair’s vitality without weighing it down, & our Almond Milk Restoring Conditioner helps restore over-processed hair.
- FOR DAMAGED HAIR: Carol's Daughter Almond Milk Shampoo, Conditioner, Leave-In Conditioner, & Ultra-Nourishing Hair Mask are all blended to repair daily damage. Sulfate-free, petrolatum-free, mineral oil-free.
- ALMOND MILK FOR NATURALLY CURLY HAIR: Created for naturally curly hair, from the short-cropped 4c curly hairstyle to 1c waves, we use the ingredients your curls crave, like Sweet Almond Oil, Aloe & Shea Butters, & proteins.
- CAROL'S DAUGHTER CURLY HAIR PRODUCTS: Whether your curls are coiled, kinky, or loose, we make products for curly hair of all kinds, including curl custard, gel for curly hair, shampoo & conditioner.
- MADE WITH LOVE: Carol's Daughter was born in a Brooklyn kitchen in 1993 & made with a mother's love & encouragement. Today we carry a full line of hair care products & body & skin care products.
SaleBestseller No. 2
Biotin Shampoo for Hair Growth and Volume - Hair Loss for Men and Women - Natural DHT Blocker - Thickening Shampoo for Fine Hair - Pure Anti Dandruff Oils - Sulfate Free for Color Treated Hair - 16 oz
- 【Hair Growth Shampoo】This is a biotin hair growth shampoo for thinning hair with thickening natural oils to increase volume and texture while strengthening hair fibers and stimulating hair follicles.
- 【Get Thicker Fuller Hair】Thicken thin hair strands and promote healthy hair growth for voluminous hair. Add body to curly hair and wavy hair. Give straight hair a root lift with hair loss shampoo.
- 【Money Back Guarantee】This gentle anti hair loss daily shampoo is also great to balance oily hair and oily scalp. It is sulfate free paraben free silicone free and comes with a full refund policy.
- 【Biotin B-Complex Formula】The hair growth vitamins within our exclusive blend of tea tree oil provitamin b5 keratin jojoba oil coconut oil olive oil evening primrose oil argan oil repair hair.
- 【Boost Hair Strength】Our biotin shampoo for men and women not only boosts hair density but contains antioxidant rich hair moisturizers that protect collagen and elasticity to prevent breakage.
Bestseller No. 3
BBQAQ Soap Hair Darkening Shampoo Bar - Natural Organic Conditioner and Repair (3 pcs)
- Effectively prevents hair loss by promoting blood circulation of the scalp, stimulating the growth of hair follicles and binding the hair roots onto the scalp within 2 weeks while it moisturizes and repairs hair damage.
- The main ingredient Polygonum has the ability to reactivate Melanocytes pigment-producing cells in hair follicles, which promotes blood circulation of the scalps, which stimulates hair growth, resulting in improved hair growth in just a couple of weeks!
- It naturally restores pigment cells, while conditioning with 100 % organic herbs which are non- toxic & chemical-free. Safer compare to any traditional shampoo while bringing you a shiny & vivid hair look.
- Restore your natural hair color, from the gray hair to a vivid dark color, regain your confidence back by looking and feeling younger again with the all-new Hair Darkening Shampoo Bar.
- It contains precious herbs like fallopian multiflora to reactivate hair pigment cells Melanocytes, and ginger with natural anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties which keeps the scalp healthy.
Last update on 2020-04-02 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API