Because dry, itchy scalp is a common condition, there are many excellent treatment options to consider. One of the most effective of those options is a hot oil treatment.
As you might expect, this option provides soothing relief. It not only feels great while you’re applying it but serves its purpose in restoring health to your hair and scalp. So, what’s the best option?
To answer that question, we’ll first look at how hot oil treatments can help your scalp. Then, we can dive into a few popular treatments that are designed to stop dryness and itching, and offer you relief.
They can be done at home, or professionally. They are called deep conditioning treatments, so gain familiarity with the product you’re using before giving it a try.
How to Choose a Hot Oil Treatment for a Dry and Itchy Scalp
Oils are a great way to protect and nourish your hair and scalp. Knowing which ones are the best for a dry scalp can save you time and money. Some of the most commonly-used oils include:
Keep in mind that some oils work by penetrating the scalp, while others don’t penetrate as well, but lock in moisture. They essentially work as a seal to keep the moisture where it is, which can help with the dryness and itchiness of the scalp.
Step-by-Step Guide to Treatment
You can either go to your local salon or try it at home. It’s much easier than you may think and it can be exceptionally relaxing, as well as great for your scalp health. Just follow a few simple steps:
- Wash your hair using a natural dry scalp shampoo. This will allow the cuticles of your hair to open up, so the oil can penetrate deeper into the scalp.
- Choose oils that will penetrate the scalp and lock in moisture.
- Heat the oil by placing a small bowl of it into a larger bowl of hot water, until warm to the touch. Do not attempt to heat oil in a microwave.
- Massage warm oil into your scalp thoroughly.
- Cover your head with a plastic cap.
- Ensure that the heat stays locked in. Cover your head with a warm towel for fifteen minutes during the treatment.
- Once you’re finished, rinse out the oil, and you’re all set.
Make sure you heat the oil enough so it’s warm to the touch – not so much that it could burn your scalp. Additionally, keeping that moisture locked in throughout the treatment can help it work much better. If you get a professional hot oil treatment, you’ll likely have to sit under a dryer for fifteen minutes.
So, if you’re ready to treat your scalp at home, what are some of the best oils you can use? We’ve listed the types of oils that are the most beneficial already, so in finding those, select brands that are natural and organic.
1) Leven Rose Organic Jojoba Oil
Jojoba oil is one of the most popular natural hair treatments – and for a good reason. Not only does it penetrate deeply into the scalp, but it also helps to remove dead skin. That dead skin can cause itching so that this oil could be helping with more than one annoying symptom of a dry scalp. It is one of the closest oils to our body’s natural serums, which is why it works so well.
You’ll find that Leven Rose organic jojoba oil is 100% natural and cold-pressed. There are no added ingredients, so you can be sure it will penetrate into the scalp and relieve dryness. It’s best when mixed with carrier oils, such as olive oil or coconut oil.
Where jojoba oil works to penetrate into the scalp, coconut oil acts as a moisture barrier. It keeps the essential oils that your body produces naturally locked in.
Well, Viva Labs extra virgin coconut oil will penetrate into the skin. It’s nourishing and hydrating. However, it will also keep moisture locked in for a significant amount of time. That helps in eliminating dryness quickly. When combined with other penetrating oils, it offers a strong defense against a dry scalp.
3) Grapeseed Oil by Sky Organics
Grapeseed oil works by protecting against moisture loss. Because it contains an essential fatty acid, it works to keep moisture locked in. It also contains Vitamin E, which will promote tissue growth and make those cells stronger to create healthier, more nourished skin. Not only does it help to relieve an itching scalp, but it will also make your hair stronger and healthier.
This Sky Organics organic grapeseed oil is also loaded with Vitamin A and Vitamin K, helping to boost your body’s immune system. That can help with the growth of healthy skin cells, as well.
The Natural Solution to a Dry Scalp
If you need a deep-penetrating treatment, choose oils that will provide it. Other oils will work as deep conditioners, keeping moisture locked in place.
No matter the oil(s) you choose, getting a hot oil treatment can be a relaxing and effective way to treat an itchy, flaky, and dry scalp. If you’re looking for a natural option, this is a great option.
SaleBestseller No. 1
Alberto Vo5 Hot Oil Intense Conditioning Treatment, 0.5 Ounce, 2-count Tubes (Pack of 3)
- SALON-LIKE HAIR REMEDY - Make your hair achieve a spa-like hair treatment with this Alberto Vo5 Hot Oil Intense Conditioning Treatment. Save a grand or two from going to salon if you want your hair obtain that healthy and silky smooth hair.
- INTENSE MOINSTURIZING TREATMENT - It has an improved formula with hydro repair that helps repair dry and damaged hair. It also helps soothe your scalp and senses while moisturizing and conditioning hair from roots to ends helping to restore shine, strength and silky softness.
- RICH OF VITAMINS - Indulge yourself in VO5 Hot Oil Therapy's 5 vitamins and protein rich formula. It will help your dry and frizzy hair brings back the shine and nourished state.
- LONG-LASTING FRAGRANCE - Alberto Vo5 Hot Oil Intense Conditioning Treatment has an organic fragrance substance that last longer than ordinary shampoo and hot oil. It can give you more confidence as you go outside if you know that your hair has a sweet fragrance.
- FREE OF HARMFUL SUBSTANCES - This is free of harmful chemicals and substances that can damage your hair such as parabens and silicone.
Bestseller No. 3
Organic Blend of Olive, Lavender, Almond and Grapeseed oils with Vitamin E. Daily Moisturizer for Skin, Hair, Cuticle, Scalp, Foot, nail and face care. Pure natural Full Body oil for Men and Women
- NATURAL SKIN CARE - Anti aging moisturizer hydrates for visibly softer & smoother skin. Corrects uneven skin tone & minor skin discoloration. Calms skin irritation, hives & cystic acne. Nourishes & restores entire body moisture after sun damage & sunburn. Helps smooth fine lines & gets rid of age dark spots & wrinkles. All of these benefits with no harmful chemicals. AVOID STRETCH MARKS - Apply firming oil 3 times daily after the 8th week of pregnancy to keep your lower belly smooth & beautiful
- NATURAL HAIR & SCALP CARE - 100% natural hair moisturizer provides scalp treatment for all hair types include wavy, curly, straight & afro hair. Use daily for dry scalp or flaky scalp for soft and longer rich hair. Ideal for rejuvenating & thickening of weak thin brittle hair. Moistens and nourishes dry flaky scalp. Stops chronic scalp itch for immediate and long-lasting itchy scalp relief. The best hair dandruff oil & effective natural dandruff treatment.
- DAY & NIGHT MOISTURIZER - Contains 4 natural raw ingredients you can trust including Extra Virgin Olive, Sweet Almond, Grapeseed, Vitamin E & Lavender Essential Oil. Best Moisturizer for face, skin, dry hair, scalp, Nails & feet. 4oz. ORGANIC, UNREFINED, COLD PRESSED OILS, VEGAN, NON-GMO, GLUTEN & PARABEN FREE. TRY US RISK-FREE! Order now, if for any reason you decide this body moisturizer is not for you, send us one email and receive a FULL REFUND OF YOUR MONEY! No need to send the bottle back!
- DRY HANDS, CUTICLE & NAIL CARE - Effective hand moisturizer that treats dry cracked hands caused by weather conditions or excessive work. CUTICLES SOFTENER - use as Cuticle remover oil, cuticle conditioner, cuticle repair, safe alternative to cuticle cream. NAIL HARDENER - Best nail moisturizer & nail strengthener, Ideal for nourishing of weak short nails. Nail treatment for nail growth Promotes strong nails, fungal free nails. faster results than nail cream with no chemicals.
- PSORIASIS, ROSACEA & ECZEMA TREATMENT - Ideal for scalp psoriasis, skin psoriasis & nail psoriasis. FOR ECZEMA - safe all-natural alternative to eczema cream and eczema lotion. ROSACEA CARE- daily rosacea moisturizer for rosacea relief. a natural solution for alopecia, seborrheic & atopic dermatitis. safe for adults, kids & baby skin care. TRY US RISK-FREE! order now and if you are not 100% satisfied, simply email us and we will refund your money in the same day, NO NEED TO SEND THE BOTTLE BACK!
Last update on 2019-09-18 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API