An itchy dry scalp is no fun at all, but almond oil can help. No one likes having an itchy head or finding dry flakes on their shirt. It can be embarrassing and unsightly.
Dry scalp is more common than most people know, and there are many reasons why it can happen. It can be brought on by a medical issue or chemically induced.
There are many reasons why almond oil is good for dry scalp. It contains monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fatty acids along with other important ingredients.
If you have allergies, almond oil may not be the right option for you. Not everyone can safely put almond oil on their skin or scalp. Always test it on a small patch of skin first to see if you develop an allergic reaction. If you don’t, it’s safe to continue.
In this article, we look at the many reasons why people should be using almond oil.
Table of Contents:
Chemical Composition of Almond Oil
Monounsaturated fatty acid (MUFA’s) and polyunsaturated fatty acids are found in almond oil. MUFA’s reduce the bad cholesterol levels in the body.
PUFAs (polyunsaturated fatty acids) contain more than one double bond in their sequence. Foods that contain PUFA’s are salmon, flaxseed, and walnuts. Olive oil also contains PUFA, and it is also good for dry hair.
Other Compounds Found in Almond Oil
- Stearic acid
- Linoleic acid
- Palmitic acid
- Vitamin E, A & D
Almond oil is also recommended for oral consumption, as well as application to the skin and scalp. It will help with skin conditions, such as dandruff.
How Almond Oil Benefits Your Hair & Scalp
- Helps the hair to grow longer
- Keeps split ends away
- Can be left in as an overnight conditioner
- Treats dry scalp and dandruff
- Prevents new infections from appearing in the scalp
Almond oil consists of a combination of olive oil or castor oil and crushed almonds.
Almond Oil for Dry Scalp
When you purchase almond oil to treat dry scalp, make sure that the bottle is labeled therapeutic grade, and check the ingredients. We recommend Molivera Organics Sweet Almond Oil as it has these qualities, there’s a discount, and 90% of customers have awarded it a 5-star rating.
The natural color is golden and it has a nutty aroma. It is taken from the dried kernels of the sweet almond and is native to the Middle East.
Like many other essential oils, it is naturally hypoallergenic. It can be used on all skin types and is safe for children.
How to Apply Almond Oil
- Put a few drops into the palm of your hand and rub your hands together to warm up the oil.
- Using your fingertips, gently massage the oil into your scalp. By massaging it in, you are doing two things. You are allowing it to penetrate the skin faster, and you are also getting rid of the flakes, or dry skin cells, that have been accumulating.
- Leave it on for a few minutes and then wash your hair as usual. You should use lukewarm water as hot water will allow the moisture to escape.
- A further way to use almond oil is to add a few drops of the oil to your regular shampoo or conditioner.
Remember that you have to use 100% pure almond oil or therapeutic grade oil. This is the only form that will provide the full healing benefits.
Foods That Help with Dry Scalp
- Salmon, mackerel, oysters, and other sea foods
- Flaxseed, walnuts, and, pumpkin seeds
- Consume more fruits such as bananas, raisins, and dark red berries
- Fill your plate with broccoli and dark green leafy vegetables
Why Exercise Helps the Scalp
Exercise is also important for maintaining a healthy scalp. It’s natural for the scalp to sweat more than other areas of your body during exercise. The scalp will more than likely become itchy when this happens.
Some women prefer not to exercise because they do not want to mess up their hair. This is a bad decision for the rest of your body. Help your scalp by exercising more often because hair follicles also need a healthy blood flow.
If you do exercise, make sure that you wash your hair when you’ve finished. You’re more likely to have an itchy scalp if your hair is dirty.
Quick Tips & Advice for Reducing Dry scalp
- Wash your hair less and give it a break from chemical products
- Use a deep moisturizing treatment on your hair twice a week
- Quit smoking as this can dry out the scalp
- Eat better and drink more water
- Exercise and don’t be afraid to sweat
There are good essential oils that you can use for dry scalp, but Molivera Organics Sweet Almond Oil is popular because of its superior skin-healing vitamins. It only takes a few drops, literally, to heal your scalp. You will start to feel relief from the itching the first time that you use it.